Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Purpose

This was how I am and what I have become and strive to be...
Am I bold enough to be someone different? Someone who can deviate from the norms of society and be an individual? I am now eighteen years old, but I don’t feel like I am any different from the person I was five years ago, or for that matter, 10 years ago. I have physically and mentally grown but my personality remained the same throughout the years; I yearn to be unique.
                In the 18 years I’ve been alive, I doubt I have started anything significant or contributed anything to society. I know, maybe 18 years isn’t enough and some people spend a whole lifetime to achieve a meaningful life. But the problem is, I know for the fact that I’m not putting in the effort to step out of my comfort zone to attempt something new, I know that I stay in the back while others are courageously taking strides for a better future, I know.
                I’m afraid to challenge foreign endeavors, I’m afraid of failure, and I’m afraid that what I do won’t be accepted in this conventional society that we live in. And, I believe that it is evident in my writing. Throughout my writing, I tend to be mellow and impassionate about my topic and I fall short in taking a definite stand. It’s foreign to me to take my own viewpoint because I am an indecisive person and I follow the opinion of others, but all of the indecisiveness will stop here.
                Going to college is the opportunity to reshape oneself and in a sense, be given another shot at life. In St. Johns University, I believe I can become the individual that I want to be. The experience in English class has most definitely improved my skill of taking a stand on a topic and as I become more persuasive in my writing, the better my writing is to myself, and to the reader.
                It is easier to voice one’s opinion on a piece of paper rather than announcing it to a large group of people; if I can easily spew intensely my opinion on something on paper then I should have minimal problem doing it in real life. Practice makes perfect. I strive to become a pharmacist in the future so I need the essential tools of being decisive and certain because I will be in charge of someone else’s life. Now I will be able to be at the forefront of the journey to becoming successful without being intimidated and be the best that I can be.


No comments:

Post a Comment